Senior Researcher, Centre for Development and the Environment (SUM)
University of Oslo, Norway
Visiting Fellow, Department of Social and Policy Sciences, University of Bath, UK.
Part-time Lecturer at the Universitat Oberta de Catalunya
My research is inter-disciplinary and draws on mixed methods to study issues related to human wellbeing and consumption. My main areas of research are: basic needs, the link between consumption and happiness, materialism, globalisation processes and the spread of consumerism. I am particularly interested in consumption and wellbeing in developing countries and in contexts of poverty.
As a member of the Wellbeing in Developing Countries, ESRC Research group at the University of Bath from 2003 to 2007 I specialized on the study of consumption and wellbeing in developing countries, particularly in Peru.
My current research interests are associated with participatory methodologies to understand how wellbeing in industrialized countries can be increased through sustainable consumption and contribute to social transformation.
2003- 2007 PhD, Department of Social and Policy Sciences, University of Bath. Thesis title: Consumption and wellbeing: Motives for consumption and needs satisfiers in Peru. Supervisor: Prof. Ian Gough.
2002-2003 MRes in European Social Policy, Department of Social and Policy Sciences, University of Bath
1993-1997 Msc (doctorate courses) in Applied Economics 1997, Autonomous University of Barcelona
1988-1993 Bachelor in Economics 1993, Autonomous University of Barcelona
- Guillen-Royo, Monica (2015). Sustainability and Wellbeing: Human-Scale Development in Practice. Routledge. pp.188. ISBN: 978-1-138-79239-5 / ISBN: 978-1-315-76213-5.
- Guillen-Royo, Monica (2015). Human needs and the environment reconciled: Participatory action-research for sustainable development in Peru, In Karen V Lykke Syse & Martin Lee Mueller (ed.), Sustainable Consumption and the Good Life. Routledge. ISBN 978-1138013001. pp.126 – 145.
- Guillen-Royo, Monica & Wilhite, Harold Langford (2015). Wellbeing and sustainable consumption, In Wolfgang Glatzer; Laura Camfield; Valerie Møller & Mariano Rojas (ed.), Global Handbook of Quality of Life: Exploration of Well-being of Nations and Continents. Springer. ISBN 978-94-017-9177-9. 13.
- Guardiola, Jorge & Guillen-Royo, Monica (2014). Income, Unemployment, Higher Education and Wellbeing in Times of Economic Crisis: Evidence from Granada (Spain). Social Indicators Research. ISSN 0303-8300. 120(2), pp.395- 409. doi: 10.1007/s11205-014-0598-6
- Guillen-Royo, Monica & Kasser, Tim (2014). Personal Goals, Socio-Economic Context and Happiness: Studying a Diverse Sample in Peru. Journal of Happiness Studies. ISSN 1389-4978. pp, 1- 21. doi: 10.1007/s10902-014-9515-6
- Guillen-Royo, Monica; Velazco, Jackeline & Camfield, Laura (2013). Basic Needs and Wealth as Independent Determinants of Happiness: An Illustration from Thailand. Social Indicators Research. ISSN 0303-8300. 110(2), s 517- 536 . doi: 10.1007/s11205-011-9941-3
- Guillen-Royo, M.; Camfield, L.; Velazco, J. (2013) “Universal and Local Reconciled: Exploring Satisfaction with Universal and Local Goals in Thailand and Bangladesh“. Social Indicators Research, 113(2) pp. 627- 645. doi: 10.1007/s11205-013-0293-z.
- Guillen-Royo, M.; Velazco-Portocarrero, J. (2012). “Happy villages and Unhappy slums? Understanding Happiness determinants in Peru”. In: Helaine Selin & SG Davey (ed.), Happiness across cultures, p.253 – 270. London, New York, Springer. ISBN 978-94-007-2699-4.
- Guillen-Royo, M. (2011) ‘A review of ‘Sustainable Development:Capabilities, Needs and Well-being‘ by Felix Rauschmayer, Ines Omann and Johannes Frühmann (Eds) . Applied Research in Quality of Life, forthcoming.
- Guillen-Royo, M. (2011) ‘Reference group consumption and the subjective wellbeing of the poor in Peru’. Journal of Economic Psychology, 32, 259–272.
- Guillen-Royo, M. (2010) ‘Realising the “wellbeing dividend”: an exploratory study using the Human-Scale Development approach‘. Ecological Economics, 70, 384-393.
- Guillén-Royo, M. Velazco, J. Camfield, L. (2010) ‘Happiness in Thailand: Basic needs and wealth in a context of rapid change’. Journal of Happiness Studies, under review.
- Camfield, L. Guillen-Royo, M Velazco, J. (2009) ‘Does needs satisfaction matter for psychological and subjective wellbeing in developing countries: A mixed-methods illustration from Bangladesh and Thailand’. Journal of Happiness Research, 11, 4, 497-516.
- Copestake, J. Guillen-Royo, M. Chou W-J., M. Hinks, T. and Velazco, J. (2009) ‘The Relationship Between Economic and Subjective Wellbeing Indicators in Peru’. Applied Research in Quality of Life, 4 (2), 155-177.
- Camfield, L. Guillen-Royo, M. (2009) ‘Wants, needs, satisfactions’. Social Indicators Research, 96, 2, 183-203.
- Guillen-Royo, M. (2008) ‘Consumption and subjective wellbeing: Exploring basic needs, social comparison, social integration and hedonism in Peru’. Social Indicators Research, 89, 535-555.
- Copestake, J. Guillen-Royo, M. Chou W-J., M. Hinks, T. and Velazco, J. (2008) ‘Exploring the linkages between economic and subjective wellbeing along a Peruvian corridor’in Copestake (ed.) Wellbeing and Development in Peru. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Guillén-Royo, M. (2008) ‘Basic needs and expenditure on health care in a shanty town of Lima’. Research in Economic Anthropology, 26.
- Guillén-Royo, M. (2007) ‘Well-being and consumption: towards a theoretical approach based on human need satisfaction’ in Bruni. L. (ed.) Handbook on happiness in Economics. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
- Guillén-Royo, M. and Velazco, J. (2006) ‘Exploring the relationship between happiness, objective and subjective well-being: Evidence from rural Thailand’ WeD Working Paper 16 University of Bath.