Dra. Jackeline Velazco
Lecturer at Department of Economics
Universitat de Girona, UDG
Lecturer in the Department of Economics at University of Girona and Associate Professor in the Department of Economics at the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Peru, Lima.
PhD in Economics from the University of Manchester (UK). Master of Arts in Development Studies from the Institute of Social Studies in the Hague, The Netherlands. Degree in Economics from the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, Lima.
My research experience on applied economics covers three main areas:
• Well-being and quality of life research (poverty, happiness economics, objective and subjective analysis of wellbeing).
• Household behaviour and household economics (production, consumption and labour allocation).
• Agricultural economics and rural development (market analysis, rural non-farm activities, food security issues at the household level, agricultural policy and food policy).
• Torrent-Sellens, J.; Velazco-Portocarrero, J.; Viñas-Bardolet, C. (2016) “Knowledge-Based Work and Job Satisfaction: Evidence from Spain“. Journal of the Knowledge Economy, pp. 1- 38. DOI: 10.1007/s13132-015-0349-1
• Guillen-Royo, M.; Camfield, L.; Velazco, J. (2013) “Universal and Local Reconciled: Exploring Satisfaction with Universal and Local Goals in Thailand and Bangladesh“. Social Indicators Research, March 2013. DOI 10.1007/s11205-013-0293-z.
• Guillen. M., Velazco, J, and Camfield, L. (2011) “Happiness in Thailand: Basic Needs and
Wealth in a Context of Rapid Change”. Social Indicators Research. DOI 10.1007/s11205-011-9941-3.
• Camfield, L., Guillén, M. and Velazco, J. (2010) “Does Needs Satisfaction Matter for
Psychological and Subjective Wellbeing in Developing Countries: A Mixed-Methods Illustration
from Bangladesh and Thailand”. Journal of Happiness Studies, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 497-516.
• Copestake, J., Guillén, M., Chou, W., Hinks, T., and Velazco, J. (2009) “The Relationship
Between Economic and Subjective Wellbeing Indicators in Peru”. Applied Research in
Quality of Life, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp.155-177.
• McGregor, J., McKay, A. and Velazco, J. (2007) “Needs and resources in the investigation of
well-being in developing countries: illustrative evidence from Bangladesh and Peru”. Journal of Economic Methodology, Vol. 14, No. 1. pp.107–131.
• Velazco, J., Young, T. and Colman, D. (2006) “Non-farm rural activities in a peasant economy:
The case of North Peruvian Sierra”. Journal of International Development, Vol.18, pp. 207-221.
• Velazco, J. (2005) “La protección social para trabajadores informales en el Perú: estimación de
su cobertura”. Revista Economía y Sociedad 55, CIES, March 2005.
• Velazco, J. (2001) “El trabajador agropecuario en el Perú: Una aproximación a partir de la encuesta nacional de hogares del III trimestre de 1999” (The agriculture worker in Peru: An
approach using the 1999 National Household Survey), in Boletín de Economía Laboral, year 5,
No. 18, January 2001.
• Velazco, J. (1996) “The expansion of Textile rural industry and the development of mining: The
XVI-XVII centuries in Virreynato of Peru”, Cibertextos, No. 5, year 2, November 1996.
Books & Book Chapters:
• Guillén, M. and Velazco, J. (2012) “Happy villages and unhappy slums?: understanding
happiness determinants in Peru”. In Selin, H. (editor). Happiness across Cultures. Springer, DOI: 10.1007/978-94-007-2700-7.
• Copestake, J., Chou, W., Guillén, M., Hinks, T and Velazco, J. (2008) “Economic welfare,
poverty and subjective wellbeing”. Co-autores:, in Copestake, J. (editor). Wellbeing and
Development in Peru: Local and Universal Views Confronted. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
• Velazco, J. (2001) “Agricultural production in Peru (1950-1995): Sources of growth”, in
Zepeda, Lydia (Ed.) Agricultural Investment and Productivity in Developing Countries.
Economic and Social Development Paper No. 148. Rome: FAO. ISBN : 92-5-104553-4
• Velazco, J. and Zepeda, L. (2001) “Determinants of agricultural investment by small-scale
producers in Peru”. in Zepeda, Lydia (Ed.) Agricultural Investment and Productivity in
Developing Countries. Economic and Social Development Paper No. 148. Rome: FAO. ISBN :
• Velazco, J. (2000, 20002 and 2003) “El proceso de reconstrucción en comunidades campesinas
afectadas por la violencia política: El rol de las políticas sociales (un enfoque económico)”, (The
rehabilitation process in peasant communities affected by political violence: The role of social
policies, an economic approach), en Portocarrero, Felipe (Editor). Políticas Sociales en el Perú:
Nuevos Aportes (Social Policies in Peru: New Contributions). Lima: Red para el Desarrollo de las
Ciencias Sociales en el Perú. ISBN : 9972-603-25-3
• Vega-Centeno, M. and Velazco, J. (1999) Empleo, desempleo y capacitación de Jóvenes en
ciudades secundarias en el Perú. (Employment, unemployment and training of young workers
in Peruvian cities),. Lima, International Labour Office. Paper No. 97. ISBN: 92-2-311623-6
• Velazco, J. and Beteta, E. (1993) “La Demanda de formación técnica para el sector
agropecuario, in Demanda de Educación técnica en el Perú. (“The demand of technical
training at the Peruvian agriculture”, book chapter in Demand for technical education in Peru).
Lima: Ministerio de Educación del Perú – Agencia Española de Cooperación Internacional. Pp.
• Velazco, J. (1992)”Azucar: Verdad y mito de una prolongada crisis.” (“Sugar: Truth and Myth
of a long crisis”). Escobal, Javier (Ed.), in Peru:The Agrarian Problem in Debate. SEPIA IV.
• Karfakis, P., Velazco, J., Moreno, E. and Covarrubias, K. (2011) “Impact of increasing prices
of agricultural commodities on poverty”. ESA working Paper No. 11-14. Agricultural
Development Economics Division, FAO-Rome.
• Copestake, J., Guillen Royo, M., Chou, WJ., Hinks, T. and Velazco, J. (2007) “An Analysis of
the Multiple Links Between Economic and Subjective Wellbeing Indicators Using Data From
Peru”. Working Paper No. 35.
• Velazco, J. (2007) “Hat making in Peru: A pathway out of poverty” in Rural Livelihoods, id 21
Natural Resources Highlights 4, March.
• Guillen, M. and Velazco, J. (2006) “Exploring the relationship between happiness, objective and
subjective well-being: Evidence from rural Thailand”. Working Paper No. 16.
• Jongudomkarn, D., Camfield, L, Guillen, M. and Velazco, J. (2005) “Exploring wellbeing in
Thailand: initial findings from Quality of Life (QoL) and Resources and Needs Questionnaire
(RANQ)”. With. In WeD Newsletter-Universty of Bath. Vol. 3, No. 2 Noviembre 2005.
• Velazco, J. (2004) “Toolbox: Wed’s Resources and Needs Questionnaire (RANQ)”. In WeD
Newsletter-University of Bath. Vol. 2, No. 2 Noviembre 2004.
Velazco, J. (1998) “Las actividades rurales no agrarias en la Sierra Norte del Perú” (Rural non-farm activities from the Northern highlands of Peru). Working Paper No. 150. Economics
Department, Catholic University of Peru, October.
• Velazco, J. (1998) La asistencia alimentaria en los hogares rurales pobres dirigidos por
mujeres: Un enfoque microeconómico (Rural poor female-headed household and food
assistance: A microeconomic approach). Working Paper No. 152. Economics Department,
Catholic University of Peru, October.
• Velazco, J. (1998) La migración laboral internacional como estrategia familiar de ingresos: El caso de los peruanos en Italia. (International labour migration as income family strategy: The
case of Peruvians in Italy). Working Paper No. 157. Economics Department, Catholic University
of Peru, October.
• Velazco, J. (1997) “Ajuste estructural y su impacto en familias rurales. Estudio de caso”
(Structural adjustment and its impact on rural families. A case study) in Estadísticas con
Enfoque de Género para el Sector Rural. Memoria Taller. Lima: Ministerio de Agricultura,
FAO, IICA e INEI.
• (2012) “Quantity and Quality Dimensions of Food Access at an Individual Level: Identifying the
Triple Burden of Malnutrition Cases”. Paper to be presented at the International Scientific
Symposium on “Food and Nutrition Security Information: From valid measurement to effective
decision making” organized by FAO, Rome January 16-19.
• (2011) “Assessing the impact of rising food prices on household welfare: An application to
Peru”. Paper to be presented at the XXXVI Conference of the Spanish Economic Association,
Malaga December 2011.
• (2011) “Agriculture Sector and Economic growth in Peru: Evidence from Co-integration
Analysis”, paper presented at the XIII International Congress of the SEHA (Spanish Society of
Agrarian Studies) that took place in Lleida from 12-14 May 2011.
• (2010) “Economic Crisis and household decisions: Evidence from Spain”. Co-author: Ramon
Ballester. Paper presented at the XXXIV Conference of the Spanish Economic Association,
Madrid 16-18 December 2010.
• (2009) “Non-farm rural activities in peasant economy: Options for poverty reduction, the case of
Peru”. 4th Annual Conference of the GARNET Network Roma, November 2009.
• (2008) “Food Access and Shocks in Rural Households: Evidence from Bangladesh, Ethiopia
and Peru”. Ponencia presentada en la Conferencia Annual de la Agricultural Economics
Society, organized by the Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, UK
• (2008) “Exploring food access at the household level: Some conceptual and empirical issues”.
Seminar organized by ESA-FAO, Italy.
• (2007) “Food Insecurity Assessment in Peru: Summary”, Seminar organized by Statistic Unit of
• (2007) “Happiness in Thailand: Basic needs and wealth in a context of rapid change”, with
Guillén, M. y Camfield, L. Paper presented at the International Conference on “Happiness and
Public Police”, Bangkok – Thailand.
• (2005) “Exploring the relationship between needs satisfaction and access to resources at the
household level: Evidence from Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Peru and Thailand”. Proposal as work-in-progress presented at SCEME Seminar in Economic Methodology ‘The methodology of
Development Economics’ on 9 December University of Stirling, UK.
• (2005) “OWB and SWB measures as determinants of happiness: A comparative analysis of
rural Thailand and rural Peru”. Joint paper with Monica Guillen. Paper presented in
Social Policy Association 38. Annual Conference: Well Being and Social Justice. The
University of Bath, UK, 27, June 2005.
• (2005) “Exploring the relationship between happiness, objective and subjective well-being:
Evidence from rural Thailand”. Joint paper with Monica Guillen. Paper presented in
Capabilities and Happiness Work-Shop at the University of Milano-Bicocca, Italy, 16 June 2005.
• (2005) “The reconstruction of the State in population affected by political violence: The case of
peasant communities from Ayacucho, Peru”. Selected paper as one of five finalists in the
Conflict, Human Security, and Migration category of the 2005 Global Development Medal Competition for Outstanding Research on Development. The Sixth Annual Global Development Conference will be held January 24-26, 2005 at Dakar, Senegal.
• (2003) “Non-farm rural activities in a peasant economy: The case of North Peruvian Sierra”. Paper accepted as a contributed paper at the 25th International Conference of IAAE
(International Association of Agricultural Economist) in Durban, South Africa 17th – 22nd August 2003. Paper also presented at 8th Annual Meeting of LACEA (Latin American and Caribbean Economic Association), Puebla-Mexico, 9 -11 October de 2003.
• (2001) “Non-farm rural activities in peasant economy: Options for poverty reduction, The case
of Peru” Conference paper presented at Development Studies Association, Manchester (UK)
• (1999) “Pobreza y políticas públicas: El caso de una comunidad de resistentes en Ayacucho”. (“Poverty and Public Policies: The case of a ‘resistant’ community in Ayacucho’). Conference paper presented at Seminario Permanente de Investigación Agraria (SEPIA VIII), held in
Chiclayo, Peru, September 1999.
• (1997) “Mujer y Economía Rural: ¿Qué es lo que sabemos?” (Mimeo) “Women and the rural economy: What do we know?” Conference Paper presented at VII Seminar of Agrarian Research in Peru (SEPIA), August 1997.